Pages

Sunday 7 August 2016

Trestle Mountain

Sunday 7th August 2016

Trestle Mountain
For those who don't know, Trestle Mountain is part of Sleeping Beauty, the other section being Collins Bonnet. Collins Bonnet is the hair and head while Trestle Mountain is the bosom. The whole outline is best seen from around Huonville.
 I was going to take a couple of walkers up to Trestle Mountain today but they could not make it for various reasons, so I decided to go on my own as I new it was going to be a good day weather wise.
I started from Myrtle Forest and then up the track beside the creek to the track junction and opted to take the track to Collins Bonnet. As I attained some altitude there were patches of remnant snow and when I reached the East West Trail it was somewhat thicker.
Myrtle Forest Falls

Collins Cap

Collins Bonnet Track

Collins Bonnet Track

East West Trail

East West Trail
I walked down the East West Trail to the short cut at Glen Dhu Rivulet where I stopped for a snack. This is where I normally stop when coming this way as it is a pleasant spot with lots of rocks to sit on.

From East West Trail

East West Trail

Glen Dhu Rivulet
The short cut was quite wet and boggy and I managed to sink my boot at one spot. Quite soon I started the ascent of Trestle Mountain and took about 40" to reach the summit. There were patches of snow here and there. The views from the top were great as it was a clear day with high cloud.

Huon Valley

Collins Cap

Collins Bonnet

Mount Marian

Far distant peaks

Looking down Trestle Mountain

Summit of Trestle Mountain

Mount Montagu

Collins Bonnet
After spending a little time here I headed back down the mountain to the East West Trail and walked via the Collins Cap Trail and Myrtle Forest Track back to the car. See previous post here for GPX file and info.




No comments :

Post a Comment