Pages

Saturday 11 August 2018

Huon Point

Saturday 11th August 2018

Huon Point
I was not sure about this walk as I could find no information on it so I just decided to have a go at it and to see what happened. The aim was to walk from Big Roaring Bay Beach along the coastal reserve to Surveyors Point and then back along the road to the car.
I parked at the car park at Big Roaring Bay Beach and set off in a westerly direction to the end of the sand and where the small lagoon flows to the sea.


Western end Big Roaring Bay Beach

Lagoon

Big Roaring Bay Beach
I then turned around and walk in an easterly direction along the beach to the rocks at the end. I could see what appeared to be something on sticks and I thought they must have been some sought of navigation aid, but as I got closer I could make out that they were sea eagle sculptures.

Eastern end Big Roaring Bay Beach

Big Roaring Bay Beach



Heading around to Huon Point
I continued on to Huon Point but was prevented from continuing on around the rocks due to the depth of water. There was no other way but up and over. It was a steep climb over some loose scree to reach the top, but once there it was fairly easy walking from then on.

Impassible Huon Point

Big Roaring Bay Beach from the top of Huon Point
I continued walking north along the coast, all the while staying in the coastal reserve. In some places I was able to walk along some rocky little beaches but most of the time I was up above the water on the higher ground.







Soon I reached Surveyors Bay and it's rather quaint cottages right on the beach.

Sea Caves Surveyors Bay

Surveyors Bay

Surveyors Bay
At the end of Surveyors Bay was a track that led up and over Surveyors Point. It was a relatively good track when compared to where I had been walking. I continued on heading north for a short distance before finding a spot for lunch.




After lunch I walked back to Surveyors Bay and then along Surveyors Bay and Esperance Coast Roads to the car.

From Esperance Coast Road
This was a good little short walk with nice views of the Huon River on an overcast day.
Distance: 8.5 kms.
Time: 3'23"
Ascent: 310 metres
GPX file is here.





2 comments :

  1. Hi Denis, Thanks for your effort and wonderful description of your walks. I live on the Sunshine Coast and don't get to Tassie as often as I would like. cheers Joe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. Yes, Tassie sure is great for walking anytime of the year really.

      Delete