Pages

Saturday 1 September 2018

Mount Charles from White Timber Trail

Saturday 1st September 2018

Mount Charles
The weather forecast was predicting snow down to 600 metres today so I figured that I would go for a hike to Mount Charles to see if I could find any. Today is supposed to be the first day of spring but no one told the weather that. It was cold, rainy, windy and indeed snowing at various stages of the walk.
Instead of driving up Judds Creek Road to get to the White Timber Trail, I drove up Jacobsons Road as the crossing across Judds Creek was washed out in May 2018. It is slightly longer but nothing to worry about. I parked at a parking spot near where the new gravel meets the old track.
The White Timber Trail was in its usual washed out state from lots of 4WD traffic.

White Timber Trail

White Timber Trail
I successfully dodged all the waterholes except one where I slipped in much to my disgust. When I reached 800 metres elevation some remnant snow started to appear and not too much further on it did start snowing, albeit very finely.


It is snowing





It took me 2'15" to reached the turnoff to Mount Charles. Mount Charles was almost totally covered in cloud and mist but seeing as how I had come this far I decided to head up. As I approached the summit the cloud did clear for a very short time so I was provided with some clear views.

Mount Charles

Mount Marian

Looking North

From almost the summit with the East West Trail in the distance
Almost at the same time as I reached the summit the cloud and wind came again with some light snow so I did not hang around as it was so cold. On the descent it started snowing more heavily and my fingers started to protest from the cold. I was thankful to finally reach the fire trail and started back after donning my waterproof gloves.

Summit Mount Charles

Summit Mount Charles

Mount Charles

It is snowing more heavily
It took me a slightly shorter time to get back to the car, probably because this time I just walked through the waterholes instead of trying to go around the edge without falling in. A hot shower was most welcome when I got home.
This was a good walk but would be better in drier conditions and dare I say, warmer conditions as well. I did enjoy it and basically walked the entire walk without stopping except to get my gloves out.
Distance: 18.6 kms.
Time: 6'05"
Ascent: 685 metres
GPX file is here.




No comments :

Post a Comment