Pages

Thursday 15 November 2018

Tylers Hill

Thursday 15th November 2018

Summit Tylers Hill
I have had a layoff from walking for a while for a few reasons but mainly due to a niggling knee injury. I wanted something that provided easy walking to get back into it and opted for Tylers Hill which is all on a good gated forestry road. I would be quite easy to actually cycle the entire distance.
I parked at the start of Hays Road just off the highway between Dover and Southport and headed up the road and around the locked gate. There were plenty of ferns beside the road and I heard numerous lyre birds calling. It was just a gradual climb up to the summit of Tylers hill and all very straightforward.

Hays Road

A local resident

First sighting of Tylers Hill
Tylers Hill is a communications hot spot with various masts, a fire tower and buildings. I climbed up the fire tower to obtain a better view but the surrounding countryside was shrouded in mist and rain. There would be great views from here on a clear day. It was very cold and windy with light rain falling. Consequently I did not stay up there too long.

Summit Tylers Hill

Looking West

Southport Lagoon
Summit Tylers Hill


Fire Tower

Looking South East

Summit

Summit
I had a bit of a wander around and then started heading back. I had planned to go down through the bush to a spur road and then to Caterpillar Road and back to the car that way but there was forestry machinery working down where I wanted to go, so I just went back the way I had come. It was probably a much easier option. There were plenty of spring flowers about and it was quite colourful in places.







By the time I had almost reached the car it had fined up nicely as shown by the photo of Adamsons Peak.


Not a bad walk and very easy, and the views from the top would be good on a clear day.
Distance: 16.3 kms.
Time: 4'10"
Ascent: 450 metres
GPX file is here.



No comments :

Post a Comment