Pages

Tuesday 27 March 2018

Craigow Hill

Tuesday 27th March 2018

Summit Craigow Hill
I wanted to do a longer walk today, something with some uphill and some ups and downs and Craigow Hill seemed to be a good choice.
I started off from the car park in Belbins Road and headed up the old 4WD track before walking along one of the many bike tracks in the area. Once the bike track finished at the top of Golden Hill, there was a steep descent to Cross Rivulet which was almost dry.

Bike Track

Craigow Hill

Cross Rivulet

Cross Rivulet
Once across the rivulet I followed the track along the rivulet for some time before climbing quite steeply up to Craigow Hill. This was a track that I had not been on before. Craigow Hill was much as I remembered from previous visits with grass trees on top. The sun was in the wrong place for photos but I took a couple.

Craigow Hill

Craigow Hill

Craigow Hill
From the hill I headed north and walked a little loop where there were views over Hobart.

Hobart Views

Looking North
I then walked back and followed the normal route along to Eagle Hill and then descended once more to Cross Rivulet. It was totally dry here. The track kept going to Flagstaff Hill where the quarry has expanded since I was last here. There were no entry and blasting in progress signs near the quarry so to kept everyone safe and happy including me, I took a shortcut through the bush down to the track. It was not far.

Hobart

Hobart and Mount Wellington
I kept going along the track before taking the Clifftops bike track where there are views from the cliffs.

Hobart and Derwent

Hobart

Cliffs

Hobart

More Hobart.
Kept going down to the bike park and then along the track beside the highway back to the car.
A good walk with good views over Hobart. I got in my uphill and my ups and downs, so I was quite satisfied and I tried out a few tracks that I had not been on before.
Distance: 18.6 Kms.
Time: 6'04"
Ascent: 970 metres
Click here for GPX file.




2 comments :

  1. Thanks Denis for your post. Love reading about the walks that you take and looking at the photos. I am new to Tasmania and enjoy getting information about walks. The Craigow Hill walk looks easy to get to and I will give it a try - probably not the whole walk though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine. There are lots of tracks, both old 4WD and bike tracks in that area and you will have no trouble finding plenty to try out. Happy walking.

      Delete