Pages

Thursday 5 April 2018

Okines Beach

Wednesday 4th April 2018

Sandy Point from Okines Beach
The aim of today's walk was to start at the eastern end of Carlton Beach and walk around the coast to Okines Beach opposite the dunes on Sandy Point.
I parked at the end of River Street in Carlton Beach and set off doing a circumnavigation of Steeles Island initially, before walking west along Carlton Beach. It was a great day with little wind and lots of sunshine.

Carlton Bluff and River

Salt marsh Steeles Island

Carlton Beach

Spectacle Head
It was about a 3.0 kms. walk along Carlton Beach before reaching Spectacle Head. I was not sure if there was a track around the head but suspected there probably was. I found a track and started walking around. The views from up here were great.

Carlton Bluff

Carlton Bluff and Beach

Tasman Peninsula
I got to a point where I could not see where the track went so walked down to the road and walked along it for a bit until I found a track branching off to the Whale lookout and then down to the point on Spectacle Head.

Spectacle Head

Spectacle Head

Spectacle Head
From here I tried walking around the coast but the goat track became too indistinct and very close to the edge so I opted for the road and walked down to Red Ochre Beach.

Spectacle Island

Red Ochre Beach
There were lots of boat sheds along the beach. I continued around to Tiger Head where a track runs around the head.

Tiger Head

Red Ochre Beach

Red Ochre Beach
At Tiger Head with Spectacle Head in background
After negotiating Tiger Head I descended to Tiger Head Beach and walked along it before rounding the point to Okines Beach. All the while I could see Sandy Point and when I reached a point opposite the dunes, I finally sat down for a break.

Red Ochre Beach

Red Ochre Beach

Sandy Point

Looking towards Pitt Water
After a break I headed back, taking a road detour at Red Ochre Beach as the tide had come in, and bypassing Tiger Head via a road. I thought I would have a go at rounding Spectacle Head from this direction as I could see a track leading up from the beach but it only went to houses. I did find the track on the other side of the head and walked it before descending to Carlton Beach and the trek up the beach to the car. There were lots of surfers out as this is a well known surfing spot.

Spectacle Head

Carlton Beach and Bluff from Spectacle Head
This was a good easy walk with nice coastal scenery.
Distance: 18.9 kms.
Time: 4'42"
Ascent: 270 metres
Click here for GPX file.




No comments :

Post a Comment